FORT MYERS, Fla. – After guiding the Eagles to 3-0 record and giving a pair of career-high performances last week, sophomore Jessica Barnes (Winter Haven, Fla./Haines City HS) earned her first career Atlantic Sun Conference Player of the Week honor, the conference office announced on Monday.
In FGCU's 3-0 (25-22, 25-23, 25-19) sweep of BIG EAST foe USF (Oct. 12), Barnes finished with eight kills, three service aces and a pair of digs.
Two days later (Oct. 14), Barnes recorded career-highs in kills (20) and digs (7) as the Eagles defeated USC Upstate, 3-1 (26-28, 25-22, 25-11, 25-22), at Alico Arena. Barnes hit .471 and tallied a pair service aces as she recorded double digit kills for the first time this season.
The two-sport student-athlete followed her career night with an even more impressive performance the next time she hit the court. Against ETSU on Saturday, Oct. 15, Barnes hit .358 and added three digs as she set a new career-high with 25 kills in FGCU’s 3-1 (31-29, 26-24, 31-33, 25-21) win over the Bucs. Barnes’ 25 kills rank her tied for third with teammate Jelena Simic (Lazarevac, Serbia/Kolubara Technical/Seward County CC) and Devon Watts in the FGCU record books for kills in a single match.
The Eagles (12-8, 6-1 A-Sun) return to the court next weekend when they head to Nashville, Tenn. to take on a pair of A-Sun foes. FGCU will meet Belmont (15-7, 6-1 A-Sun) in on Oct. 21 at 8:15 p.m., before facing defending A-Sun champion Lipscomb (13-6, 7-0 A-Sun) on Oct. 22 at 3 p.m.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Jessica Barnes, FGCU (So. – Outside Hitter – Winter Haven, Fla. – Biology)
• Finished with eight kills, three service aces and a pair of digs in 3-0 sweep of USF
• Recorded career-highs in kills (20) and digs (7) as the Eagles defeated USC Upstate, 3-1
• Her 25 kills vs. ETSU rank her tied for third in the FGCU record books for kills in a single match
• Jen Meyer (Belmont) – Set new school, A-Sun, and NCAA marks with 11 service aces against Jacksonville
• Kiley Tamblyn (ETSU) – Recorded 75 digs, 4 service aces, and 12 assists
• Kaylee Ream (Stetson) – 19-kill (tied career high), 16-dig double-double vs. ETSU
• Katie Rose (Lipscomb) – Posted .442 hitting pct. and led Lipscomb to pair of sweeps
• Morgan Thomas (USC Upstate) – Led the Spartans in kills (27) and blocks (9)
• Amiee Frutchey (Mercer) – 22 kills, 27 digs vs. FAMU set career highs