FGCU Women Remain No. 5 in South Region
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Committee has released this week's Division II women's basketball regional rankings. The Florida Gulf Coast University women’s basketball team remains fifth this week. The final regular season regional rankings will be released next Wednesday.
The top eight teams in each of the eight NCAA Division II regions at the end of the season receive bids to the 64-team national championship tournament. To be considered for the national tournament, each team must play at least 16 games against teams within its region.
The Eagles (25-1), ranked No. 12 in the national coaches poll, have won 13 straight games after picking up wins over Palm Beach Atlantic and Lynn last week. This weekend they host the eight-team 2006 National Independent Tournament at Alico Arena. The Eagles face Johnson & Wales in a first-round match-up on Friday night.
South Region Rankings (as of 2/22/06)
1. Delta State (18-2, 18-2 region)
2. Henderson State (19-2, 19-2 region)
3. Fort Valley State (18-0, 18-0 region)
4. Rollins (21-0, 18-0 region)
5. Florida Gulf Coast (20-1, 18-1 region)
6. West Florida (18-3, 16-2 region)
7. Central Arkansas (14-8, 9-6 region)
8. West Georgia (15-9, 13-6 region)
9. Valdosta State (14-8, 13-6 region)
10. Tampa (17-6, 13-3 region)
|Copyright ©2013 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.