FGCU Women Remain No. 5 in South Region
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Florida Gulf Coast University women’s basketball team is ranked fifth in this week’s NCAA Division II South Region rankings released Wednesday night by the NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Committee.
The Eagles (21-1), ranked No. 12 in the national coaches poll, have won nine straight games after picking up three wins last week.
The top 10 teams in each region are included in each ranking. The regional rankings will be released every Wednesday through March 1.
The top eight teams in each of the eight NCAA Division II regions at the end of the season receive bids to the 64-team national championship tournament. To be considered for the national tournament, each team must play at least 16 games against teams within its region. FGCU, which is currently 18-1 in the region, has just one regional game left on its schedule.
FGCU hosts Palm Beach Atlantic on Saturday at 7 p.m.
South Region Rankings (as of 2/2/06)
1. Delta State (14-1, 14-1 region)
2. Henderson State (14-1, 14-1 region)
3. Central Arkansas (12-4, 7-2 region)
4. Fort Valley State (12-0, 12-0 region)
5. Florida Gulf Coast (18-1, 16-1 region
6. West Florida (13-3, 11-2 region)
7. Rollins (15-0, 12-0 region)
8. West Georgia (12-7, 10-4 region)
9. Valdosta State (12-5, 11-3 region)
10. Southern Arkansas (9-7, 8-7 region)