NCAA Regional Poll has Women's Basketball No.5
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Florida Gulf Coast University is ranked fifth in the latest NCAA Division II South Region rankings released Wednesday night by the NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Committee.
The Eagles (23-1), ranked No. 12 in this week’s USA Today/ESPN Division II Coaches’ Poll, have won 11 straight games heading into Friday’s game at Palm Beach Atlantic University.
The top 10 teams in each region are included in each ranking. The regional rankings will be released every Wednesday through March 1.
The top eight teams in each of the eight NCAA Division II regions at the end of the season receive bids to the 64-team national championship tournament. To be considered for the national tournament, each team must play at least 16 games against teams within its region. FGCU, which is currently 18-1 in the region, has just one regional game left on its schedule.
South Region Rankings (as of 2/15/06)
1. Henderson State (17-2, 17-2 region)
2. Delta State (16-2, 16-2 region)
3. Fort Valley State (17-0, 17-0 region)
4. Rollins (19-0, 16-0 region)
5. Florida Gulf Coast (20-1, 18-1 region)
6. West Florida (16-3, 14-2 region)
7. Central Arkansas (13-7, 8-5 region)
8. West Georgia (15-7, 13-4 region)
9. Valdosta State (13-7, 12-5 region)
10. Southern Arkansas (11-9, 10-7 region)