|Women's Basketball » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
Eagles Duo Sweeps A-Sun Weekly Awards
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Senior Shannon Murphy (Brighton, Mich./Brighton HS) and freshman Sarah Hansen (Edinboro, Pa./General McLane HS) led FGCU to a pair of big wins at the 2010 Caribbean Challenge in Cancun, Mexico last week, and for their performances, they claimed A-Sun Player and Newcomer of the Week, the conference office announced on Tuesday.
For the week, Murphy averaged 16.0 points, 5.0 assists and 2.0 rebounds, while shooting 50-percent from the field and 41.2-percent from 3-pt range. Hansen averaged 15.0 points and 5.5 rebounds and shot a blazing 68.4-percent from the floor and 66.7-percent from long distance at the Caribbean Challenge.
In FGCU's huge 73-65 win over ACC foe Virginia Tech on Nov. 25 Hansen, in just her third career game, led the Blue and Green with a career-high 19 points and five rebounds, while Murphy finished with 11 points and a game-high seven assists. The duo’s performance helped give FGCU their first win over a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). The Eagles have now defeated two BCS schools already this season (Seton Hall, Virginia Tech).
Just two days later, Murphy scored a game-high 21 points and dished out three assists in the Eagles 68-52 win over Montana. Hansen also had another solid performance with 11 points, six rebounds and a pair of steals in 26 minutes.
The Eagles (4-0) are back in action Thursday, December 2 when they open A-Sun play in Jacksonville, Fla. when they face UNF in the first game of a double header with men’s squad. Tip-off for the women’s game is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. at UNF Arena and can be heard live at www.FGCUAthletics.com.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Shannon Murphy
• Second A-Sun Player of the Week award
• Passed out a game-high seven assists in the 73-65 win against Virginia Tech
• Added 11 points in the game against the Hokies for program’s first win against ACC foe
• Tallied a game-high 21 points versus Montana to lead Eagles to a 16-point victory
• Averaged 16 points and five assists per game on the week and shot .500 from the field
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK: Sarah Hansen
• First A-Sun Newcomer of the Week award
• Helped FGCU to a 2-0 record at the Caribbean Challenge with 15 points and 5.5 rebounds
• Registered a career-high 19 points in the 73-65 win against Virginia Tech
• Added 11 points, six rebounds and two steals in a victory against Montana
• Shot .684 from all field goals and .667 from behind the arc
For all the latest news on FGCU Athletics, follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/FGCUEagles and become a fan on Facebook.