FORT MYERS, Fla. - After leading the Eagles to another undefeated week with wins against conference foes Lipscomb and ETSU, senior Shannon Murphy (Brighton, Mich./Brighton HS) earned A-Sun Player of the Week honors, for the second time this season, the conference office announced on Tuesday.
For the week, Murphy led the Eagles to a 2-0 record and averaged 15.0 points, 4.0 assists and 3.5 rebounds, while shooting 57.9 percent from the field and 54.5 percent from 3-point range.
In FGCU's 75-57 win over Lipscomb on Jan. 5 at Alico Arena, Murphy registered 10 points and a game-high five assists in just 28 minutes. Just three days later, the marketing major scored 20 points on 8-of-11 shooting from the floor and 4-of-5 from long distance as the Blue and Green, the nation’s leaders in three-point field goals made per game (11.5), snapped ETSU’s 11-game home conference winning streak with a 77-70 victory.
The Eagles (12-0, 5-0 A-Sun), who are one of three undefeated teams in Division I, are back in action Saturday, January 15 when they host Kennesaw State in the first game of a two-game homestand. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and can be heard live at www.FGCUAthletics.com.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Shannon Murphy
• Third A-Sun Player of the Week award; second this season
• Led the undefeated Eagles to wins against Lipscomb and at ETSU
• Averaged 15 points, four assists and 3.5 rebounds on the week
• Scored 20 points at ETSU to snap the Lady Bucs’ 11-game conference home winning streak
• Shot 57.9 Pct from the field and 54.5 Pct from three-point range
For all the latest news on FGCU Athletics, follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/FGCUEagles and become a fan on Facebook.