Off the Trail: A Week in the Life of a Cross Country Runner
Thursday, October 07, 2010

A Week in the Life of a Cross Country Runner


Monday, Sept. 27: We had practice 15 minutes early this morning so people who had 8 a.m. classes wouldn’t have to rush to class after our workout. We had a six mile steady state run and it went really well. We held a 6:50 pace and were still able to have light conversation and no one finished feeling overly tired. I crack up when I think that most “normal” people would think we were crazy for saying that! I had microbiology today and finally got back my test that I thought I did bad on and I ended up getting a high B. After micro I went to the lab for a few hours to get some work done on my senior research project and then I went home because we didn’t have evening practice :)

Tuesday, Sept. 28: We had a pretty tough workout this morning; 3 X 400, 1 X 1600, 2 X 800, 1 X 400. It was a race simulation so the goal was to run the parts as if you were in an actual race. All of us ran well so I think it’s a good indicator of how we’re going to compete at this weekend’s race in Chicago. I had to rush to my 8:30 a.m. class straight from practice but then I had the rest of the day to get homework done and clean up my messy house a little :) We had a light evening run of four miles on campus and it was the perfect running weather; cool with a light sprinkle of rain. It was nice to relax and enjoy an easy run with my teammates.

Wednesday, Sept. 29: Since this is our rest week we only had an easy four-miler this morning with eight striders. Afterward we had our bi-weekly ab workout, but didn’t have a second run tonight. I had another long day in class and the lab today so I was glad that I got to go home and cook myself a good dinner and go to bed early.

Thursday, Sept. 30: This morning’s workout was a light fartlek (speed training) at Estero. All of us stayed in a group together and coach even joined in on the run for the second half of the repeats! It was a nice controlled pace and no one was spent at the end. It was good to stretch out our legs one more time before Saturday’s race. Today was my light class load day again so I met up with coach afterwards to discuss our traveling arrangement for the trip to Chicago and go over my racing strategy. It looks like it’s going to be a very interesting race and I think we’re going to put up a solid performance as a team.

Friday, Oct. 1: We left campus at 5:45 a.m. to drive to the airport :) Very early! Once we got to Chicago we went straight to the race course to run a preview of the course. The weather is fantastic! Cool with a nice breeze coming off of Lake Michigan, I hope it is like this tomorrow! We drove to our hotel and I have to say it is probably the nicest hotel I’ve every stayed in!

Saturday, Oct. 2: RACE DAY!! Our race wasn’t until noon so we got to sleep in a bit and eat a good breakfast. The weather was nice in the morning, but it got steadily colder as the morning progressed. By the time our race started it was very cold, raining, and WINDY! They don’t call it the windy city for nothing! Despite the weather, we all preformed well and managed to get 14th place out of 44 teams. I think that is excellent :) and I’m very proud of my team.