Women's Soccer Dominates Delaware State, 6-0
Sunday, August 29, 2010

FORT MYERS, Fla. – Back-to-back goals from sophomore Jessica Swartzentruber in the second half highlighted a convincing 6-0 win for the FGCU women’s soccer team against Delaware State on Sunday afternoon at the FGCU Soccer Complex.

FGCU moves its record to 1-1 on the young season with the win, while Delaware State falls to 0-4.

The Eagles offense dominated the Hornets, edging them in shots 27-2 and only surrendering one corner kick. Swartzentruber led with two goals while redshirt junior Katie Donnellan, junior Gina Petracco and senior Lindsay Haw all tallied a goal and an assist. Junior Olivia Elias rounded out the goal scorers, while freshman Jenci Villaverde picked up her first collegiate points with two assists.

The Eagles got on the board early when Donnellan dribbled up the middle and passed to Elias in the left side of the box. Delaware State’s keeper misplayed Elias’ shot and gave FGCU a 1-0 lead just six minutes into the game.

FGCU made it a two-goal advantage, 2-0, when Donnellan tallied her own goal in the 22nd minute. The play started when Villaverde found Haw, who then connected with Donnellan in the center of the box.

The 2-0 lead stood until halftime, as the Eagles outshot the Hornets 15-1 over the opening 45 minutes.

The Blue and Green’s offense surged in the second half, led by Swartzentruber’s goals the 51st and 57th minutes, respectively. Senior Caytlan MacKenzie sent a cross from the left side to Villaverde who then tapped it to Swartzentruber as she headed it to the back of the net for a 3-0 advantage.

A native of Sarasota, Fla., Swartzentruber knocked in her second goal at the 56:35 mark off a pass from Petracco. Sophomore Danielle Faller hit a perfect pass to Petracco who served it just in time for Swartzentruber to slide one past the out-stretched keeper.

Haw increased the Eagles lead to 5-0 at the 70 minute mark off an assist from Petracco. Just a minute and 37 seconds later, Petracco struck again this time with a goal of her own from freshman Brooke Williams.

Junior Stephanie Powers started in net, going just over 57 minutes for the win and was replaced by senior Kirsi Keenan who played the remainder of the game.

Due to a lightning delay before the game and one with just under 14 minutes to play in the first half, the game lasted nearly three hours.

The Eagles are back in action on Tuesday, Aug. 31 when they travel to ACC foe Miami. The teams face off at 7:30 p.m. in Coral Gables, Fla.