Women's Soccer Plays UNF to Scoreless Tie
Sunday, October 11, 2009 | by Chris Perry

FORT MYERS, Fla. – For the second game in a row, the Florida Gulf Coast University women’s soccer team remained out of the win column after recording a scoreless double overtime tie with UNF on Sunday afternoon at the FGCU Soccer Complex.


With the tie, the Eagles move to 8-4-3 (3-1-2 A-Sun) and the Ospreys go to 5-8-2 (2-3-1 A-Sun) on the season.


"We just weren't able to put it away today," said head coach Jim Blankenship.  "We had plenty of chances and controlled the pace for most of the game, but we came up short where it counted."


The Eagles dominated the shot category once again, firing 18 shots to the Ospreys four. FGCU also had a 10-1 advantage in corner kicks. Sunday’s match marked the fifth time this season that the Eagles have put up 18 or more shots in a game.


The Eagles first opportunity came just under three minutes into the match. Amber McCall (Fort Myers, Fla.) sent a great ball to Caytlan MacKenzie (Calgary Alberta, Canada) who took a shot 15-yards out from the left post, MacKenzie’s shot sailed just high of the crossbar.


Three minutes later, UNF midfielder Elena Luzins fired a shot from 12-yards out that hit the crossbar and deflected out of play to keep the game scoreless.


In the 37th minute, FGCU’s Gina Petracco (Fort Myers, Fla.) received a loose ball 18-yards out from the left post. Petracco’s shot looked promising until Ospreys defender Whitney Colburn slid over to make the save.


The Eagles offense increased the pressure in the second half, collecting 10 shots and earning three corners.


FGCU fired off six shots before UNF recorded their first shot of the second half in the 80th minute.


The Eagles final shot in regulation came with just five seconds remaining off the foot of MacKenzie. MacKenzie’s  shot went wide left to send the game into overtime.


In the first overtime, FGCU recorded three shots with the first shot in the 92nd minute. Amanda Suchko (Greensburg, Penn.) sent a great pass from the right wing to Lindsay Haw (Palm City, Fla.) by the left post, UNF goalkeeper Rachael Howard stepped up and made a diving save to keep Haw from collecting her first game winner of the season.


In the second overtime, both teams recorded a shot but neither team could find the net.


Howard finished the match with nine saves as four Ospreys recorded one shot.


FGCU goalkeeper Stephanie Powers (Seffner, Fla.) finished with two saves. Offensively, 10 different Eagles recorded shots with Haw and MacKenzie collecting four a piece.


The Eagles will travel to Nashville, Tenn. to face A-Sun leader Belmont on Oct. 16 at 5:00 p.m. before facing Lipscomb on Oct. 18 at 1:00 p.m.