Eagles Women's Tennis Upset Nova Southeastern
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Florida Gulf Coast University women’s tennis team knocked off its second straight top-25 opponent with a 5-4 win over No. 19 Nova Southeastern University Saturday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
FGCU captured two of the three doubles matches for a 2-1 lead heading into singles play. Freshmen Maria Testa Maggiorini (Buenos Aires) and Lesley Anne Passolt (Plymouth, MN) picked up a win at No. 1 doubles while senior Isabela Ciesinska (Mississauga, Ontario) and sophomore Jonalea Hileman (Fort Worth, TX) were victorious at No. 2 doubles.
Nova Southeastern won three of the first five singles matches but Passolt came through for a win at No. 6 singles to give the Eagles their seventh win in eight matches. Nova Southeastern picked up singles wins from Tsippy Waterman, ranked No. 28 in Division II, over Maggiorini at No. 1, Stephanie Gribi over Ciesinska at No. 3 and Simin Schmitz at No. 5 over senior Angie Mykieta (Bremen, Germany).
Sophomore Jonalea Hileman (Fort Worth, TX) defeated the Knights Jessica Homerlein at No. 2 singles while sophomore Krista Polulak (Sarasota, FL) was a victor at No. 4 singles.
FGCU (9-6) hosts the Franklin Pierce College on Sunday at 11 a.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex. Following the match, the FGCU Student-Athlete Advisory Committee will be hosting a clinic and carnival for children ages 7-12.
1. Tsippy Waterman (NOVA) def. Maria Testa Maggiorini (FGCU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Jonalea Hileman (FGCU) def. Jessica Homerlein (NOVA) 6-0, 6-2
3. Stefanie Gribi (NOVA) def. Izabella Ciesinska (FGCU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Krista Polulak (FGCU) def. Anna Schmidtmann (NOVA) 6-0, 3-0def
5. Simin Schmitz (NOVA) def. Angie Mykieta (FGCU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Lesley Passolt (FGCU) def. Michelle Alvarez (NOVA) 6-1, 7-5
1. Passolt/Maggiorini (FGCU) def. Moncada/Gribi (NOVA) 8-3
2. Ciesinska/Hileman (FGCU) def. Schmidtmann/Schmitz (NOVA) 8-4
3. Alvarez/Homerlein (NOVA) def. Mykieta/Kinley (FGCU) 8-4
|Copyright ©2013 Florida Gulf Coast Athletics. All Rights Reserved.