South Florida Beats FGCU Women's Tennis
TAMPA, Fla. – The University of South Florida captured four straight singles matches to take a 5-2 win over Florida Gulf Coast University at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts on Monday afternoon.
Utilizing Division I scoring procedures, the Bulls won two of the three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead in the match. USF’s top tandem of Nevssa Etienne and Gabriella Duch won 8-1 over Maria Maggiorini and Krista Polulak of FGCU. At second doubles, Liz Cruz and Courtney Vernon of USF blanked Jonalea Hileman and Isabela Ciesinska 8-0. The Eagles Angie Mykieta and Brett Kinley won by default at No. 3 doubles. USF then rolled to four straight singles victories, all in straight sets, to pick up the win.
The match was the regular season finale for the Eagles, who finish with a 12-11 record and a No. 8 ranking in the latest Division II southeast regional rankings. The regional tournament will be May 5-7 at a campus site to be determined.
1. Nevssa Etienne (USF) def. Maria Maggiorini (FGCU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Courtney Vernon (USF) def. Jonalea Hileman (FGCU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Liz Cruz (USF) def. Izabela Ciesinska (FGCU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Gabriela Duch (USF) def. Krista Polulak (FGCU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Angie Mykieta (FGCU) def. Luisa Obando (USF) def.
6. Lesley Anne Passolt (FGCU) won by default
1. Duch/Etienne (USF) def. Maggiorini/Polulak (FGCU) 8-1
2. Cruz/Vernon (USF) def. Hileman/Ciesinska (FGCU) 8-0
3. Kinley/Mykieta (FGCU) won by default
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.