Women's Tennis Wins First Round NCAA Match
Boca Raton, Fla.—The #13 Florida Gulf Coast University women’s tennis team came from behind this afternoon to knock out #15 Nova Southeastern by the score of 5-4 in the NCAA Division II Southeast Region Semifinals.
The Eagles (13-5) were down 2-1 after the doubles matches and came back to win four of the six singles battles to advance to the regional championship against #4 host Lynn University tomorrow at 10 a.m. at the McCusker Sports Complex.
“Today’s victory was a testament to the ladies mental toughness,” head coach J. Webb Horton said. “After being down heading into the singles matches, we just clicked and starting believing we could win. We’re looking forward to tomorrow’s challenge.”
The Sharks (16-8) won at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles as Alexa Korotkevich and Ulia Talalenko defeated Maria Braniecka 8-6 and Tsippy Waterman and Jessica Homerlein took down Krista Polulak and Maria Maggiorini 8-6. The Eagles won their lone doubles point at the third position as Brett Kinley and Lydia Diaz-Galindo put together an 8-6 victory over Anna Schmidtmann and Andrea Moncada.
Waterman defeated Hileman at the third singles position 6-2, 6-3 to give Nova Southeastern a quick 3-1 before Florida Gulf Coast tied it up with victories at the top two spots. Braniecka pulled out a 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 win over Korotkevich at the No. 1 position and Maggiorini beat Talalenko 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 at the second spot to knot the match. Finishing at the same time to keep the match at tied at 4-4, Florida Gulf Coast’s Kinley took down Homerlein 1-6, 6-3, 6-2 at the sixth position as Nova’s Schmidtmann won 6-1, 5-7, 6-3 at the fifth spot.
In a three-set battle to decide the match winner at the fourth singles position, Florida Gulf Coast’s Diaz-Galindo took down Moncada by the score of 1-6, 7-5, 6-2 to send the Eagles to the championship.
#13 Florida Gulf Coast 5, #15 Nova Southeastern 4
1. Maria Braniecka (FGCU) def. Alexa Kovotkevich (NSU) 2-6, 6-3, 7-6
2. Maria Maggiorini (FGCU) def. Ulia Talalenko (NSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Tsippy Waterman (NSU) def. Jonalea Hileman (FGCU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Lydia Diaz-Galindo (FGCU) def. Andrea Moncada (NSU) 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Anna Schmidtmann (NSU) def. Krista Polulak (FGCU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
6. Brett Kinley (FGCU) def. Jessica Homerlein (NSU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. Alexa Kovotkevich/Ulia Talalenko (NSU) def. Maria Braniecka/Jonalea Hileman (FGCU) 8-6
2. Tsippy Waterman/Jessica Homerlein (NSU) def. Krista Polulak/Maria Maggiorini (FGCU) 8-6
3. Brett Kinley/Lydia Diaz-Galindo (FGCU) def. Anna Schmidtmann/Andrea Moncada (NSU) 8-6
Courtesy Lynn University Sports Information
|Copyright ©2013 Florida Gulf Coast Athletics. All Rights Reserved.