FGCU Women's Tennis Crushes Mercer, 7-0
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women's tennis team celebrated Senior Day by sweeping Mercer, 7-0, at the FGCU Tennis Complx. With the win, the Eagles even their overall record at 8-8 and improve to 5-3 in A-Sun matches, while the Bears fall to 5-6 overall, 1-5 in conference. Over their last three dual matches, the Blue and Green have won 20 out of a possible 21 points, dropping just one singles match.
Prior to the match, seniors Priscillia Villemond (Les Bordes, France), Eva Sambrano (Tampa, Fla.), and Maggie Caulk (Rockford, Ill.) were honored. “These women are very special to our program and to our team,” said head coach Jennifer Gabou. “They have really helped establish a rich tradition and will be deeply missed.”
FGCU easily took the doubles to take a 1-0 lead going into singles play. Freshmen Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio) scored the first victory, defeating Sarah Hanna, 6-0, 6-1. Melissa Narzissenfeld followed suit, knocking off Stephanie Cohen, 6-2, 6-3.
With the Eagles up 3-0, all eyes were on senior Eva Sambrano's court as she battled back from a 4-1 third set deficit to clinch the victory, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4. "To see Eva fight back and dig that deep was amazing," said Coach Gabou "I am very proud of the way our team fought today."
With singles wins from Villemond, Jessica Sweeting (Freeport, Bahamas), and Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Tex.), the Blue and Green completed the 7-0 sweep of Mercer.
The Eagles will close out the 2010 season on the road against A-Sun Conference foes Campbell and USC Upstate next week. FGCU travels to Campbell for a 1 p.m. match on Thursday (Apr. 1), and wraps up the season at USC Upstate at 9 a.m. on Saturday (Apr. 3).
1. Sweeting/Evans (FGCU) def. Lada/Bugge (MU) 8-3
2. Wieslander/Dias (MU) def. Rendon/Almeida (FGCU) 8-7 (1)
3. Villemond/Sambrano (FGCU) def. Hanna/Cohen (MU) 8-1
1. Villemond (FGCU) def. Lada (MU) 7-6 (3), 2-6, 10-5
2. Sweeting (FGCU) def. Wieslander (MU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
3. Sambrano (FGCU) def. Bugge (MU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
4. Rendon (FGCU) def. Dias (MU) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
5. Narzissenfeld (FGCU) def. Cohen (MU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Bechtel (FGCU) def. Hanna (MU) 6-0, 6-1
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|