Women's Tennis Drops A-Sun Opener to Stetson
DELAND, Fla. – Opening the Atlantic Sun Conference portion of the spring schedule, the FGCU women’s tennis team fell to Stetson, 6-1, on Saturday afternoon in DeLand, Fla. Sophomore Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) picked up the lone singles victory for the Eagles.
In the losing effort, FGCU dropped to 3-1 (0-1 A-Sun) on the year and Stetson improves to 5-0 (1-0 A-Sun) on the season.
“Stetson really came out to play today and competed at a very high level,” said third-year head coach Jennifer Gabou. “If there is anything we can learn from them, it would be how to compete and give 100 percent on the court.”
Stetson took the opening doubles point by taking all three matches to start the afternoon. The pair of sophomore Bibiana Almeida (Porto, Portugal/Schiller International School) and senior Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Texas/Tyler Junior College) fell to the duo of Carolina D.L. Santos and Unnati Purushotham, 8-4, and the freshmen team of Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) and Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) were turned away by the Stetson tandem of MB Stauffer-MacDowell and Sierra Sullivan, 8-2. The closest of the three contests was played in the No. 3 spot as the team of Bechtel and sophomore Melissa Narzissenfeld (Tampa, Fla./Academy of the Holy Names) were defeated by Lindsey Cable and Shannon Gunning, 8-7.
The Hatters continued to play well as singles action got underway. The Eagles were turned away in five of the six contests with Bechtel claiming the only victory for the Blue and Green. In the No. 5 position, Bechtel took down Sierra Sullivan, 6-2, 11-9.
The Eagles will return to action on Thursday, March 3 as they welcome A-Sun foe Campbell to the FGCU Tennis Complex beginning at 4 p.m. Results and recaps of the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com at the conclusion of the dual.
1. Carolina D.L. Santos (STET) def. Iris Rendon (FGCU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Unnati Purushotham (STET) def. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Shannon Gunning (STET) def. Melissa Narzisenfeld (FGCU), 6-2, 6-4
4. MB Stauffer-MacDowell (STET) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Sierra Sullivan (STET), 6-2, 11-9
6. Lindsey Cable (STET) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Carolina D.L. Santos and Unnati Purushotham (STET) def. Almeida and Rendon (FGCU), 8-4
2. MB Stauffer-MacDowell and Sierra Sullivan (STET) def. Botha and Mandic (FGCU), 8-2
3. Lindsey Cable and Shannon Gunning (STET) def. Bechtel and Narzisenfeld (FGCU), 8-7
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|