FGCU Takes Down Non-Conference Foe SIUE, 6-1
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team swept the doubles point and won five singles matches en route to a victory over Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, 6-1, on Wednesday at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
FGCU improves to 4-4 (1-0 A-Sun) on the season, while SIUE falls to 5-6.
In doubles, the Green and Blue won all three matches to claim an early 1-0 lead in the match. The team of sophomore Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) and senior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) defeated Amanda Miller and Kali Donner, 8-1, at No. 2 doubles.
At No. 3 doubles, the Eagles clinched the point with an easy 8-1 win from sophomore Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/DeKuilen HS) and freshman Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) against Joanna Corkern and Lindsey Raymond. In the final match, junior Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Marina Diez (Miami, Fla./West Broward HS) fell behind 7-4 before winning three-straight games to send the match into a tiebreaker against Carli Connors and Laura Horning. Bechtel and Diez saved three match points to complete the sweep for the Eagles, 8-7 (12-10).
In singles, the Cougars tied the match at 1-1 after Rachel Webb defeated Diez, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 3 singles.
FGCU increased its lead to 3-1 after straight set wins at No. 1 and No. 5 singles. Means won 6-2, 6-2, against Donner and Botha defeated Raymond, 6-2, 6-1.
The Eagles clinched the match with a victory at No. 4 singles when Bechtel took down Horning, 6-3, 6-2. Evans gave FGCU a 5-1 lead after a comeback win against Connors, 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8), at No. 2 singles.
In the final match, Mandic won in the third set against Amanda Miller, 5-7, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 6 singles.
The Green and Blue return to the court on Thursday against Penn on Mar. 8 at 10 a.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex. Results and recaps will be available on www.FGCUathletics.com after each match this season.
Florida Gulf Coast University 6, SIU-Edwardsville 1
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. DONNER, Kali (SIUE) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jen Evans (FGCU) def. CONNORS, Carli (SIUE) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
3. WEBB, Rachel (SIUE) def. Marina Diez (FGCU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. HORNING, Laura (SIUE) 6-3, 6-2
5. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. RAYMOND, Lindsey (SIUE) 6-2, 6-1
6. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) def. MILLER, Amanda (SIUE) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
1. Morgan Bechtel/Marina Diez (FGCU) def. CONNORS, Carli/HORNING, Laura (SIUE) 8-7 (12-10)
2. Jen Evans/Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) def. MILLER, Amanda/DONNER, Kali (SIUE) 8-1
3. Sarah Means/Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. CORKERN, Joanna/RAYMOND, Lindsey (SIUE) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,1,5,4,2,6)
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|