Women's Tennis Drops Non-Conference Match to Penn, 5-1
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team lost the doubles point and couldn’t recover against Ivy League foe Penn, 5-1, on Thursday in Tampa, Fla. The Eagles picked up a victory at No. 3 doubles for their only win of the contest.
The Eagles fall to 4-5 (1-0 A-SUN) on the season and Penn improves to 4-4 with the victory.
In doubles, FGCU earned its lone victory at No. 2 doubles when the team of sophomore Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) and senior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) won against Alex Ion and Srinidhi Raghavan, 8-0.
At No. 3 doubles, Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/DeKuilen HS) and Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) lost to Stephanie Do and Emma Whitfield, 8-3. In the final doubles match, junior Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Marina Diez (Miami, Fla./West Broward HS) dropped a 8-5 match against Jules Rodin and Sol Eskenazi at No. 1 doubles.
In singles, the Quakers took a 3-0 lead after straight set wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles. Means lost against Eskenazi, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1 singles and Diez fell against Ion, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 3 singles.
Penn clinched the match with a straight sets win at No. 2 singles as Do defeated Evans, 6-4, 6-4. Bechtel lost a close three set match against DePaoli, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, at No. 4 singles.
Botha earned the Eagles lone win in singles outlasting Raghavan, 6-0, 6-7 (4-7), 6-1. Botha dropped the second set tiebreaker 7-4, before winning the third set easily at 6-1.
In the final match of the day, Mandic was trailing in the third set, 7-5, 3-6, 5-3, but rain forced the match to go unfinished to make the final score 5-1 Penn.
The Green and Blue return to the court against ACC foe Virginia Tech on Sunday, Mar. 11 at 10 a.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
Results and recaps will be available on www.FGCUathletics.com after each match this season.
PENN 5, Florida Gulf Coast University 1
1. Sol Eskenazi (UPENN) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Stephanie Do (UPENN) def. Jen Evans (FGCU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Alex Ion (UPENN) def. Marina Diez (FGCU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Daniela DePaoli (UPENN) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
5. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Srinidhi Raghavan (UPENN) 6-0, 6-7 (4-7), 6-1
6. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) vs. Emma Whitfield (UPENN) 7-5, 3-6, 3-5, unfinished
1. Jules Rodin/Sol Eskenazi (UPENN) def. Morgan Bechtel/Marina Diez (FGCU) 8-5
2. Gyanna Mandic/Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Alex Ion/Srinidhi Raghavan (UPENN) 8-0
3. Stephanie Do/Emma Whitfield (UPENN) def. Sarah Means/Bettina Botha (FGCU) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1)
|Copyright ©2013 Florida Gulf Coast Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|