Women's Tennis Drops Match to No. 59 Virginia Tech, 7-0
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team picked up a lone win in doubles but fell to No. 59 Virginia Tech, 7-0, on Sunday at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
FGCU falls to 4-6 (1-0 A-Sun) on the season, while ACC opponent Virginia Tech improves to 9-5.
In doubles, the Green and Blue earned its lone win at No. 2 doubles as the team of sophomore Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) and senior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) defeated Katie Blow and Courtney Rauscher, 8-6. The team of junior Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Marina Diez (Miami, Fla./West Broward HS) fell 8-2 against Martha Blakely and Carol Kahoun, at No. 1 doubles.
In the final doubles match, sophomore Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/DeKuilen HS) and freshman Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) fell just short against Emily Lauten and Isel Martinez, 8-5, at No. 3 doubles.
In singles, the Eagles showed a lot of fight as Means lost to Blakely, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4, at No. 1 singles. Means won the second set 6-2, before falling in the third, 6-4.
At No. 4 singles, Bechtel went the limit falling to Rauscher, 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-4), in the super tiebreaker. Bechtel also won the second set, 6-1, but fell short in the tiebreaker 10-4.
The Hokies earned two victories at No. 2 and No. 3 singles as Martinez defeated Evans, 6-2, 6-1, and Betts took down Diez, 6-2, 6-3.
Virginia Tech completed the sweep with wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles in straight sets. Lauten defeated Botha, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 5 singles and Kahoun won against Mandic, 7-5, 6-3, at No. 6 singles.
The Green and Blue return to the court on Thursday against A-Sun foe Mercer on Mar. 15 at 12 p.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex. Results and recaps will be available on www.FGCUathletics.com after each match this season.
No. 59 Virginia tech 7, Florida Gulf Coast University 0
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. Isel Martinez (VT) def. Jen Evans (FGCU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Marina Diez (FGCU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Courtney Rauscher (VT) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 7-5, 6-3
1. Martha Blakely/Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Morgan Bechtel/Marina Diez (FGCU) 8-2
2. Jen Evans/Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) def. Katie Blow/Courtney Rauscher (VT) 8-6
3. Emily Lauten/Isel Martinez (VT) def. Bettina Botha/Sarah Means (FGCU) 8-5
Virginia tech 9-5; National ranking #59
Florida Gulf Coast University 4-6
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|