Women's Tennis Perfect in A-Sun Play; Sweeps Mercer, 7-0
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team won all six singles matches en route to defeating Atlantic Sun conference foe Mercer, 7-0, on Thursday at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
FGCU improves to 5-6 (2-0 A-Sun) on the season, while Mercer drops to 2-5 (0-1 A-Sun).
In doubles, the Eagles won two quick matches to claim a 1-0 lead in the match. The team of sophomore Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/DeKuilen HS) and freshman Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) blanked Sarah Hanna and Katherine Cooper, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles. Sophomore Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) and senior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) took down Melanie Schumilas and Amanda Bertani, 8-1, at No. 2 doubles. In the final doubles match, junior Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Marina Diez (Miami, Fla./West Broward HS) fell to Jennifer Lada and Lucie Payrat, 8-6, at No. 1 doubles.
In singles play, Means won in straight sets against Payrat, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 1 singles. Bechtel gave the Eagles a 3-0 lead after winning 6-1, 6-1, against Bertani, at No. 4 singles.
Diez won in straight sets at No. 3 singles, 6-1, 6-0 over Schumilas. Evans and Botha came away with victories at No. 2 and No. 5 singles, respectively. Evans won 6-3, 6-4, over Lada and Botha won against Hanna, 6-0, 7-5.
The Eagles made it a clean sweep as Mandic defeated Cooper, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 6 singles.
The Green and Blue return to the court next weekend against A-Sun opponents USC-Upstate and ETSU. FGCU takes on the Spartans on Friday, March 23 at 10 a.m. in Spartanburg, S.C. and finishes the road trip against ETSU on Saturday, March 24 at 1:30 p.m. in Johnson City, Tenn. Results and recaps will be available on www.FGCUathletics.com after each match this season.
Florida Gulf Coast University 7, Mercer 0
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Lucie Payrat (MER) 6-3, 6-0
2. Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Jennifer Lada (MER) 6-3, 6-4
3. Marina Diez (FGCU) def. Melanie Schumilas (MER) 6-1, 6-0
4. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Amanda Bertani (MER) 6-1, 6-1
5. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Sarah Hanna (MER) 6-0, 7-5
6. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) def. Katherine Cooper (MER) 6-0, 6-1
1. Jennifer Lada/Lucie Payrat (MER) def. Morgan Bechtel/Marina Diez (FGCU) 8-6
2. Gyanna Mandic/Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Melanie Schumilas/Amanda Bertani (MER) 8-1
3. Bettina Botha/Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Sarah Hanna/Katerine Cooper (MER) 8-0
Mercer 2-5 (0-1 A-Sun)
Florida Gulf Coast University 5-6 (2-0 A-Sun)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,6,4,1,2,5)
|Copyright ©2013 Florida Gulf Coast Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|