UNF Overpowers FGCU to Collect 6-1 Dual Match Victory
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – With the end of the regular season just a week away, the FGCU women’s tennis team (10-6, 4-3 A-Sun) fell 6-1 to in-state foe UNF in Jacksonville on Sunday afternoon.
FGCU now finds itself in the midst of a three-match losing streak that began on March 28 at the FGCU Tennis Complex with all three of the matches having been against conference opponents.
“UNF are the reigning A-Sun Champions and they played like it today,” said FGCU head coach Jennifer Gabou. “We did not execute as well as we would have liked and we certainly can improve our level of focus on certain courts. I am looking forward to seeing how we rebound against Stetson and Bethune-Cookman next week.”
The Green and Blue struggled from the start of the dual match as the Ospreys (12-4, 5-1 A-Sun) swept the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead after clinching the doubles point.
Johanna Sterkel (Schwtzingen, Germany/Carl-Theodor-Schule HS) was solid for the Eagles in the No. 2 singles spot as her 6-1, 6-4 straight-set victory knotted the dual match score a 1-1.
UNF would bounce back on every other singles court to jump out front 5-1 over FGCU as the Ospreys clinched the dual match victory on their home courts.
With the dual match already decided in favor of UNF, Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) of FGCU continued to battle in the No. 1 singles spot after splitting the first two sets to send the match into a third set tiebreak. UNF’s No. 1 singles player, Lorena Aviles, did not break against Means as Aviles took the tiebreaker 10-8 to win the match and give the Ospreys a 6-1 dual match win.
With UNF taking the dual match, the Ospreys are now 5-0 all-time against the Eagles in dual match meetings.
FGCU will remain in the state of Florida for one of its final two dual matches of the 2013 regular season. The Green and Blue will take on Stetson on Saturday, April 13 at 2 p.m. in DeLand, Fla.
Following the match, results and a recap from the dual match action will be available at www.FGCUATHLETICS.com.
UNF 6, FGCU 1
Order of Finish: (2, 4, 6, 5, 3, 1)
1. Lorena Aviles (UNF) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Simona Weymar (UNF) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) def. Marina Cunningham (UNF) 6-1, 6-4
4. Taylor Hollander (UNF) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Melanie Aguirre (UNF) def. Elizabeth Means (FGCU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Mariella Calderon (UNF) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU) 7-5, 6-3
Order of Finish: (1, 2, 3)
1. Lorena Aviles/Melanie Aguirre (UNF) def. Gyanna Mandic/Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 8-3
2. Simona Weymar/Rebeca Pereira (UNF) def. Johanna Sterkel/Bettina Botha (FGCU) 8-3
3. Taylor Hollander/Marina Cunningham (UNF) def. Elizabeth Means/Sarah Means (FGCU) 8-6
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|