Women’s Tennis Unable to Power Through as FGCU Falls, 5-2, to Stetson
DELAND, Fla. – In its final regular season A-Sun dual match, the FGCU women’s tennis team (10-7, 4-4 A-Sun) fell to in-state foe Stetson at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
“We really lacked mental toughness today,” said head coach Jennifer Gabou. “Hopefully they will learn from this match as we look forward to Bethune-Cookman and our first round conference tournament opponent.”
With the A-Sun Championship tournament set to begin on Friday, April 19, FGCU was unable to shake its current four-match losing streak in its regular season conference finale.
FGCU was unable to secure the doubles point, despite an 8-5 victory by freshman Johanna Sterkel (Schwtzingen, Germany/Carl-Theodor-Schule HS) and junior Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) on the doubles courts in the No. 2 spot.
The bottom of the Green and Blue singles lineup was solid against the Hatters in the No. 4 and No. 6 spots. Botha won her singles match at the No. 6 position in straight sets by a score of 7-5, 6-2 to collect singles and doubles victories. Freshman Elizabeth Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) won 6-2, 7-5 at the fourth singles spot to collect the second dual match point of the day for the Eagles.
Including the doubles point, FGCU and Stetson were knotted up at 2-2 with three singles matches still being played out. On its home courts, the Hatters remained strong on their senior appreciation day to win the final three singles matches and collect the 5-2 dual match win.
Stetson (10-9, 5-3 A-Sun) now leads the all-time series with FGCU 4-1 through five meetings in the history of the programs.
FGCU will close out its 2013 regular season with a dual match in Daytona, Fla. against Bethune-Cookman at 10 a.m.
Following the match, results and a recap from the dual match action will be available at www.FGCUATHLETICS.com.
Stetson 5, FGCU 2
Order of Finish: (6, 5, 4, 3, 1, 2)
1. Andrea Crespo (STET) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) – 6-3, 6-2, 6-4
2. Sara Lazarevic (STET) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) – 5-1, 6-1, 6-1
3. Diana Bukajeva (STET) def. Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) – 6-3, 7-5
4. Elizabeth Means (FGCU def. Lindsey Cable (STET) – 6-2, 7-5
5. Jen Miller (STET) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) – 6-4, 6-2
6. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Eveline Lepinay (STET) – 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: (1, 3, 2)
1. Diana Bukajeva/Jen Miller (STET) def. Gyanna Mandic/Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) – 8-4
2. Johanna Sterkel/Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Sara Lazarevic/MB StaufferMacDowell – 8-5
3. Lindsey Cable/Eveline Lepinay (STET) def. Elizabeth Means/Sarah Means (FGCU) – 8-6
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|