Women's Tennis Too Much for UPR Mayaguez
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Florida Gulf Coast University women’s tennis team has won four straight and nine of its last 10 matches after beating the University of Puerto Rico 8-1 at the FGCU Tennis Complex Thursday afternoon.
Five Eagles captured wins in both singles and doubles in the match, led by the standout tandem of freshman Maria Testa Maggiorini (Buenos Aires) and sophomore Krista Polulak (Sarasota, FL). Their 8-0 pro set win at No.1 doubles gave them a 6-2 record as a team. Maggiorini was then a straight set winner at No. 1 singles to improve to 8-2 in the top spot and 11-5 overall, and Polulak picked up a victory at No. 4 singles to improve her mark to 9-8.
Senior Izabela Ciensinska (Mississauga, Ontario) and sophomore Jonalea Hileman (Fort Worth, TX) were also double winners, including an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles to improve to 7-2 in doubles play. Ciensinska picked up a straight set win at No. 3 singles, improving to 9-4 in dual match play. Hileman upped her record to 10-7 win a win at No. 2 singles.
Senior Angie Mykieta was also a double winner for FGCU, teaming up with freshman Lesley Anne Passolt (Plymouth, MN) for a win at No. 3 doubles, before improving to a team-best 11-3 dual match record with a win at No.5 singles. Marimar Gonzalez was the lone winner for Mayaguez (0-4), topping sophomore Lori Colby (Sarasota, FL) in a three-set, 10-5 tiebreaker.
FGCU (11-6) travels to No.7 Rollins College on Monday, March 28 at 4 p.m.
1. Maria Testa Maggiorini (FGCU) def. Alessandra Correa (MAY) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jonalea Hileman (FGCU) def. Mercedes Figueroa (MAY) 6-1, 6-0
3. Izabella Ciesinska (FGCU) def. Marelis Benitez (MAY) 6-1, 6-1
4. Krista Polulak (FGCU) def. Melissa Soto (MAY) 6-1, 6-1
5. Angie Mykieta (FGCU) def. Monica Nevarez (MAY) 6-1, 6-1
6. Marimar Gonzalez (MAY) def. Lori Colby (FGCU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-5
1. Polulak/Maggiorini (FGCU) def. Figueroa/Benitez (MAY) 8-0
2. Ciesinska/Hileman (FGCU) def. Soto/Correa (MAY) 8-1
3. Mykieta/Passolt (FGCU) def. Gonzalez/Nevarez (MAY) 8-1