No. 21 Women's Tennis Falls to No. 1 Armstrong
By Chris Perry
SAVANNAH, GA – The top-ranked Armstrong Atlantic State University women's tennis team stretched its nation-best win streak to 45 with a 9-0 victory over No. 21-ranked Florida Gulf Coast University on Saturday afternoon in Division II South Region women’s tennis action in Savannah. The Pirates improve to 15-0 in dual match play, while the Eagles fall to 9-4.
As they have now done all year, Armstrong jumped out to an early lead in the match with a sweep of the doubles competition. Sixth ranked Manuela Emmrich and Caroline Grage held off FGCU’s Maria Braniecka and Jonalea Hileman 8-2 at No. 1 doubles. Then #16 Dziyana Nazaruk and #16 Johanna Dahback beat the Eagles’ tandem of junior Krista Polulak (Sarasota, Fla.) and sophomore Maria Maggiorini (Buenos Aires, Argentina) 8-0, while Kristen Kelly and Sofia Haggstrom from Armstrong also picked up a 9-7 win over Brett Kinley (Boynton Beach, Fla.) and Lydia Diaz Galindo (Seville, Spain).
Featuring four of the top 20 ranked singles players in Division II, the Pirates rolled to straight set wins in all six singles matches.
#4 Stupak topped #48 Braniecka at No. 1, #6 Cowper was a winner over Maggiorini at No. 2. #11 Nazaruk got a win over Hileman at No. 3. While #16 Dahlback, Haggstrom, Kelly were the Pirates other singles winners.
FGCU returns to action on Tuesday March 28, 2006 at 1 p.m. when they take on Lindenwood.
1. Emmrich/Grage (AASU) def. Braniecka/Hileman (FGCU) 8-2
2. Nazaruk/Dahlback (AASU) def. Polulak/Maggiorini (FGCU) 8-0
3. Kelly/Haggstrom (AASU) def. Kinely/Diaz-Galindo (FGCU) 9-7
1. Iuliia Stupak (AASU) def. Maria Braniecka (FGCU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Luisa Cowper (AASU) def. Maria Maggiorini (FGCU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Dziyana Nararuk (AASU) def. Jonalea Hileman (FGCU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Johanna Dahlback (AASU) def. Lydia Diaz-Galindo (FGCU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Sofia Haggstrom (AASU) def. Krista Polulak (FGCU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Kristen Kelly (AASU) def. Brett Kinley (FGCU) 6-2, 6-0