|Women's Tennis » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
Women's Tennis Dominates Doubleheader
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Florida Gulf Coast University women’s tennis team hosted a doubleheader Thursday against visiting teams Colgate University and the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT). The Eagles got off to a great start against Colgate when juniors Eva Sambrano and Maggie Caulk returned to the courts successfully as they clinched the doubles point at the number 3 position against the team of Alex Erickson and Cameron Thaney by a score of 8-3. The Eagles went on to defeat Colgate 4-0 with Priscillia Villemond, Leah Johnson, and Maggie Caulk posting wins in singles play.
In the second dual match of the day FGCU and NJIT split the doubles point with Sambrano/Caulk defeating Toor/Lovdal, 8-1, at #3, and NJIT’s Doci/Lidon winning at #1, 8-4, over Villemond/Evans. With the doubles results at 1-1 it came down to the tandem of St. John/Johnson to pull out the win on the number 2 court. "I liked the pressure situation and I feel it made us play better," said freshman Heather St. John. "We overcame a lot of obstacles to win this match." The Eagles clinched the doubles point in the tiebreaker against Aizeier/Stanimirovic 9-8 (2).
In singles the Lady Eagles were strong winning in straight sets at positions 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 "I think everyone fought really hard and put into action all that we've been talking about," said senior Joanne Power.
The Eagles will be back in action at home on Thursday at 2:30 pm against conference foe Lipscomb.
FGCU vs. Colgate
1. Villemond/Evans, FGCU def. DeRose/Williams, CU 8-5
2. St. John/Johnson, FGCU v. Fenn/Brown, CU DNF
3. Sambrano/Caulk, FGCU def. Erickson/Thaney, CU 8-3
1. Priscillia Villemond, FGCU def. Elise De Rose, CU 6-1, 6-2
2. Jen Evans, FGCU v. Alex Erickson, CU DNF
3. Leah Johnson, FGCU def. Cameron Williams, CU 6-0, 6-3
4. Joanne Power, FGCU v. Cameron Thaney, CU DNF
5. Maggie Caulk, FGCU def. Jackie Stimmel, CU 6-2, 6-1
6. Brittany Wadsworth, FGCU v. Stephanie Brown, CU DNF
FGCU vs. NJIT
1. Doci/Lidon, NJIT def. Villemond/Evans, FGCU 8-4
2. St. John/Johnson, FGCU def. Aizier/Stanimirovic, NJIT 9-8 (2)
3. Sambrano/Caulk, FGCU def. Toor/Lovdal, NJIT 8-1
1. Priscillia Villemond, FGCU def. Iulia Doci, NJIT 6-1, 6-4
2. Eva Sambrano, FGCU def. Ana Lidon, NJIT 6-2, 7-5
3. Jen Evans, FGCU def. Fanny Aizier, NJIT 6-1, 7-5
4. Heather St. John, FGCU v. Isha Toor, NJIT DNF
5. Leah Johnson, FGCU def. Dasa Stanimirovic, NJIT 7-6 (2), 6-2
6. Joanne Power, FGCU def Anine Lovdal, NJIT 6-0, 6-3