FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team dropped its season opening match against Troy University today at the FGCU Tennis Complex, 4-3. The Eagles will turn around and travel to Central Florida tomorrow and Bethune-Cookman on Sunday.
In doubles, freshman Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio) and partner Melissa Narzissenfeld (Tampa, Fla.) fell to the team of Vieira/Ramirez-Vega 8-3 on court three. Following their loss, FGCU’s No. 1 doubles team of Jessica Sweeting (Freeport, Bahamas) and Katharine Evans (Fort Myers, Fla.) pulled out a thrilling 9-7 win against Grymel/Guijt, tying up the doubles competition. With all eyes on the No. 2 match, the pairing of Eva Sambrano (Tampa, Fla.) and Bibiana Almeida (Porto, Portugal) fell to Smith/Simpson 8-6, giving the doubles point to Troy.
“Our doubles played the best they have this season,” said head coach Jennifer Gabou. “We were very close to winning at No. 2 doubles. You have to give credit to Troy as they rallied to make a great comeback.”
Starting singles down 1-0, the Eagles rallied back to bring the score to 3-2 with only Bechtel and Evans left on court. Evans lost a tough match to Vieira 6-2, 6-4, clinching the match for Troy. Bechtel finished off the match with a win over Ramirez-Vega 7-6 (5), 6-1, but the Blue and Green fell, 4-3.
“I am looking forward to us building on this match today and seeing how the team responds this weekend,” said coach Gabou
The Eagles will hit the road for a pair of matches beginning tomorrow with a 2:00 p.m. contest at Central Florida before visiting Bethune-Cookman on Sunday, January 24 at noon
1) Sweeting/ Evans (FGCU) def. Grymel/Guijt (Troy) 9-7
2) Smith/Simpson(Troy) def. Sambrano/Almeida (FGCU) 8-6 *
3) Vieira/Ramirez-Vega (Troy) def. Bechtel/Narzissenfeld (FGCU) 8-3
1) Grymel (Troy) def. Almeida (FGCU) 6-1, 6-0
2) Simpson (Troy) def. Rendon (FGCU) 6-4, 6-1
3) Sweeting (FGCU) def. Guijt (Troy) 6-0, 6-4
4) Villemond (FGCU) def. Smith (Troy) 6-2, 6-1
5) Vieira (Troy) def. Evans (FGCU) 6-2, 6-4 *
6) Bechtel (FGCU) def. Ramirez-Vega (Troy) 7-6 (5), 6-1
*Indicates clinching match