FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team scored their first conference victory today by upsetting the Atlantic Sun's fifth pick, Jacksonville University, 5-2. With the win, the Eagles improve to 3-5 overall and 1-2 in the A-Sun.
The Blue and Green won the doubles point with both Sweeting/Evans and Villemond/Sambrano picking up wins on courts two and three.
In singles action, Jessica Sweeting (Freeport, Bahamas) led the charge winning out over Iva Jaresova, 6-0, 6-3, giving the Eagles a 2-0 lead. With Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Tex.) falling to Eve Castaing, 6-1, 6-1, JU got on the board. Freshmen Melissa Narzissenfeld (Tampa, Fla.) dispatched Sara Londono, 6-3,6-1, while freshmen Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio) clinched the win on court six by defeating Fernanda Carrero, 6-3, 6-4. Also scoring a win for the Eagles was freshmen Bibiana Almeida (Porto, Portugal) over Virginia Iwinski, 7-5, 6-7 (3), 10-7.
"I am extremely proud of my team today," said head coach Jennifer Gabou. "Last year we didn't win one match against JU and to see us come out and beat such a skilled team is encouraging."
The Eagles will be back in action at the FGCU Tennis Complex on Monday, Mar. 8, at 2 p.m. against conference foe Kennesaw State.
1. Soldatova/Castaing (JU) def. Rendon/Almeida (FGCU) 8-2
2. Sweeting/Evans (FGCU) def. Jaresova/Carrero (JU) 8-6
3. Villemond/Sambrano (FGCU) def. Spencer/Londono (JU) 8-4
1. Soldatova (JU) def. Villemond (FGCU) 7-5, 3-6, 10-8
2. Castaing (JU) def. Rendon (FGCU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Sweeting (FGCU) def. Jaresova (JU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Almeida (FGCU) def. Iwinski (JU) 7-5, 6-7 (3), 10-7
5. Narzissenfeld (FGCU) def. Londono (JU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Bechtel (FGCU) def. Carrero (JU) 6-3, 6-4