NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The FGCU women's tennis team soundly defeated the Belmont Bruins, 6-1, on Saturday morning in Nashville, Tenn. With the win, the Eagles improve to 7-8 overall and 4-3 in A-Sun play. The seven overall wins are more than FGCU had last season, and the four conference victories are the most that FGCU has had in its three years in the Atlantic Sun.
The Eagles took the doubles point and then made quick work of Belmont at positions one, two, and three in singles play. Senior Priscillia Villemond (Les Bordes, France) defeated Laura Stack, 6-0, 6-1 improving to 11-4 on the season. On court two, Jessica Sweeting (Freeport, Bahamas) dismissed Abby Leatherwood, 6-2, 6-2. At position number three, Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Tex.) dispatched Lindsay Bennett 6-1, 6-2.
Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio) came back after losing the first set to claim a victory on court five, winning 4-6, 6-2, 10-1. On court six, Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla.) cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win.
"I am very proud of our team as we only lost one out of 14 possible points on the road this weekend," said head coach Jennifer Gabou. "Last year we barely beat Belmont (4-3), so to win the way we did today shows how hard the girls have worked."
The Eagles will be back in action Thursday, March 25, when they take on Mercer. That will be Senior Day, where seniors Priscillia Villemond, Eva Sambrano (Tampa, Fla.), and Maggie Caulk (Rockford, Ill.) will be honored prior to the start of the match. The match is set to begin at 2:30 p.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
1. Sweeting/Evans (FGCU) def. Stack/Leatherwood (BU) 8-5
2. Rendon/Almeida (FGCU) def. Nunes/Hogan (BU) 8-4
3. Villemond/Sambrano (FGCU) def. Bennett/Irick (BU) 8-2
1. Villemond (FGCU) def. Stack (BU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Sweeting (FGCU) def. Leatherwood (BU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Rendon (FGCU) def. Bennett (BU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Hogan (BU) def. Narzissenfeld (FGCU) 1-6, 6-2, 10-6
5. Bechtel (FGCU) def. Nunes (BU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-1
6. Evans (FGCU) def. Irick (BU) 6-2, 6-1