BUIES CREEK, N.C. – The FGCU women’s tennis team won their fourth consecutive match on Thursday, defeating Campbell 5-2 in Buies Creek, N.C. With the win, the Eagles improve to 9-8 overall, 6-3 in the A-Sun, while Campbell falls to 11-7, 5-3 in the conference.
The Blue and Green clinched the doubles point, winning on courts one and three. In singles play, the Eagles played well on all six courts. FGCU won four of the six matches, with the only two losses came in third set tiebreaks. Jessica Sweeting (Freeport, Bahamas) dominated on court two, winning 6-2, 6-1, while Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Tex.) was strong on court four, claiming a 6-1, 6-4 victory. Freshman Melissa Narzissenfeld (Tampa, Fla.) and Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio) each earned straight-set victories on courts five and six, respectively.
The Eagles close out the 2010 season on Saturday morning when they travel to USC Upstate. The match is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.
1. Jessica Sweeting/Katharine Evans (FGCU) def. Borislava Nikolova/Lisa Sutton (CAM) 8-4
2. Blanca Saenz/Anais Gomar (CAM) def. Priscillia Villemond/Eva Sambrano (FGCU) 8-2
3. Iris Rendon/Bibiana Almeida (FGCU) def. Cristina Garcia/Lourdes Ros (CAM) 8-5
1. Lisa Sutton (CAM) def. Priscillia Villemond (FGCU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-3
2. Jessica Sweeting (FGCU) def. Blanca Saenz (CAM) 6-2, 6-1
3. Cristina Garcia (CAM) def. Eva Sambrano (FGCU) 2-6, 7-6, 10-4
4. Iris Rendon (FGCU) def. Borislava Nikolova (CAM) 6-1, 6-4
5. Melissa Narzissenfeld (FGCU) def. Anais Gomar (CAM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Lourdes Ros (CAM) 6-2, 6-2