FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team continued their season opening winning streak on Sunday when they welcomed FAMU to the FGCU Tennis Complex. After taking the doubles point, the Eagles went on to a 6-1 victory over the Rattlers.
Building upon a successful start to the 2011 championship season, the Eagle improved to 3-0 in the spring with the victory.
"Our freshmen are doing great work in both singles and doubles right now,” said third-year head coach Jennifer Gabou following the match. “They are making an immediate impact to an already hardworking team. We are all very excited to begin Conference play next Saturday at Stetson. Next week will be a great opportunity for the team to step it up."
The Blue and Green took two of the three doubles matches to take the point. The freshmen team of Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) and Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) were the first to finish, defeating the FAMU pair of Bethany Holt and Maria Gomez, 8-2, and sophomore Bibiana Almeida (Porto, Portugal/Schiller International School) paired with senior Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Texas/Tyler Junior College) to take down the duo of Britney Dean and Deke Olagbegi, 8-3. The Rattlers’ Kathline Durden and Alexis Brown earned the visitors only double win, defeating the FGCU team of Melissa Narzissenfeld (Tampa, Fla./Academy of the Holy Names) and Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy), 8-5.
In singles, both freshmen dominated in their early victories. At No. 5, Botha won in straight sets over Gomez, 6-0, 6-0, and Mandic followed with a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Holt in the No. 6 spot.
Bechtel rallied to pick up a good win in a third set tiebreaker over Olgabegi, 6-0, 4-6, 10-8, at No. 4, and Rendon cruised to a victory over Dean 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 1 spot. Additionally, Narzissenfeld took down Durden in a solid 6-0, 6-2 victory at No. 3.
Conference play is slated next for the Eagles as they prepare for a trip to DeLand, Fla. for a meeting with Atlantic Sun foe Stetson on Saturday, Feb. 26, beginning at 1 p.m. Results and recaps of the action will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com at the conclusion of the dual.
1. Almeida and Rendon (FGCU) def. Dean and Olagbegi (FAMU), 8-3
2. Mandic and Botha (FGCU) def. Holt and Gomez (FAMU), 8-2
3. Durden and Brown (FAMU) def. Narzissenfeld and Bechtel (FGCU), 8-5
1. Iris Rendon (FGCU) def. Britney Dean (FAMU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Alexis Brown (FAMU) def. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU), 7-5, 6-2
3. Melissa Narzissenfeld (FGCU) def. Kathline Durden (FAMU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Deke Olagbegi (FAMU), 6-0, 4-6, 10-8
5. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Maria Gomez (FAMU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) def. Bethany Holt (FAMU), 6-4, 6-0