FORT MYERS, Fla. – In its second Atlantic Sun Conference match of the season, the FGCU women’s tennis team fell to Campbell, 6-1, on Thursday at the FGCU Tennis Complex. Sophomore Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) picked up a victory in the No. 4 singles position.
FGCU’s record drops to 3-2 (0-2 A-Sun) on the year and Campbell’s record improves to 4-4 (1-0 A-Sun) this season.
The Eagles received some unfortunate news heading into the contest as sophomore Melissa Narzissenfeld (Tampa, Fla./Academy of the Holy Names) has been ruled out for the remainder of the spring with an injury, prompting a few student-athlete to play a higher position.
"Losing Mel for the season was a shock for the team,” said third-year head coach Jennifer Gabou. “However, Saturday will be a great opportunity for them to rebound in another A-Sun conference contest."
Campbell swept the opening doubles point as the Eagles made a strong push in the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. CU’s Lisa Sutton and Dominek Wallaart defeated the FGCU team of sophomore Bibiana Almeida (Porto, Portugal/Schiller International School) and senior Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Texas/Tyler Junior College), 8-5, and the freshmen pair of Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) and Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) fell to the Camel duo of Karolina Chernaya and Borislava Nikolava, 8-6.
Bechtel earned the lone singles victory in the dual for the Eagles, as she took down Anais Gomas, 6-2, 6-0. The Camels would take the remainder of the singles contests on their way to the 6-1 win.
FGCU will return to the court on Saturday for another A-Sun conference dual with USC Upstate at the FGCU Tennis Complex beginning at 10 a.m. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Lisa Sutton (CU) def. Iris Rendon (FGCU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Karolina Chernaya (CU) def. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Borislava Nikolova (CU) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU), 7-5, 6-4
4. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Anais Gomas (CU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Dominek Wallaart (CU) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU), 7-5, 6-3
6. Natasha Afridi (CU) def. Kelly Colbath (FGCU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Sutton and Wallaart (CU) def. Almeida and Rendon (FGCU), 8-5
2. Chernaya and Nikolova (CU) def. Mandic and Botha (FGCU), 8-6
3. Gomar and Lourdes Ros (CU) def. Bechtel and Colbath (FGCU), 8-1