FORT MYERS, Fla. – On Monday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the FGCU women’s tennis team fell, 5-2, in a dual meeting with visiting Toledo. Sophomore Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) each contributed to the Eagles scoring on the afternoon.
With the loss, the Eagles dropped to 4-3 (1-2 A-Sun) while Toledo improved to 8-3 on the spring season.
"Today we had opportunities to get more wins than we recorded,” said third-year head coach Jennifer Gabou. “Morgan and Bettina really fought hard today and pulled out some great victories. We are looking forward to the next three matches and seeing how we match up in the conference."
In doubles play, the Eagles earned a victory in the No. 1 pairing as the duo of senior Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Texas/Tyler Junior College) and Botha defeated the Toledo team of Polina Guimaraes and Ashley Frey, 8-6. However, the Rockets took the other two matches to record the opening doubles point.
Singles action saw Bechtel, a Toledo, Ohio native, pull out a big win playing in the No. 2 position for the first time this spring, turning away Frey, 7-5, 6-2, to remain undefeated on the season. Botha recorded the other point on the afternoon for the Eagles, defeating Amanda Border, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 4 spot. Additionally, Rendon and freshman Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) both fell in hard-fought three set matches in the No. 1 and No. 5 positions, respectively.
FGCU will now pack its bags for a trip to Statesboro, Ga. to compete in a dual match with Georgia Southern on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Rendon and Botha (FGCU) def Guimaraes and Frey (Toledo), 8-6
2. Cristello and Anonsen (Toledo) def. Mandic and Bechtel (FGCU), 9-7
3. Caruajal and Border (Toledo) def. Almeida and Evans (FGCU), 8-6
1. Polina Guimaraes (Toledo) def. Iris Rendon (FGCU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Ashley Frey (Toledo), 7-5, 6-2
3) Kelsey Anonsen (Toledo) def. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Amanda Border (Toledo), 6-0, 6-2
5. Alexandra Cristello (Toledo) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
6. Christine Coffman (Toledo) def. Jen Evans (FGCU), 6-0, 6-0