KENNESAW, Ga. – In an Atlantic Sun Conference dual meeting in Kennesaw, Ga., the FGCU women’s tennis team fell to Kennesaw State, 5-2. The Eagles’ scoring came off singles victories by sophomore Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and junior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS).
The loss moved FGCU to 4-5 (1-3 A-Sun) on the spring season, while the win improved Kennesaw State’s mark to 13-2 (3-0 A-Sun).
In doubles action, the Owls swept all three doubles matches to record the opening point of the match. The team of senior Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Texas/Tyler Junior College) and freshman Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) fell to the KSU duo of Vera Shkundina and Iesha Holton, 8-6, and the pair of freshman Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) and Bechtel were turned away by Agatha Palider and Therese Lagerkvist by the same result.
The Eagles earned their two points in the day’s singles play with the victories from Bechtel and Evans. In the No. 2 singles spot, Bechtel took down Iesha Holton, 6-1, 6-4, and Evans recorded a 6-4, 6-2 win over Ayano Tanaka in the No. 6 position.
The Eagles now head to Mercer for their second dual of the road trip on Saturday at 2 p.m. Losers of five straight, the Bears are coming off a Friday loss to Stetson, 7-0, which dropped their record to 2-7 (0-3 A-Sun) on the spring. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Vera Shkundina (KSU) def. Iris Rendon (FGCU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Iesha Holton (KSU), 6-1, 6-4
3. Alexandra Apostu (KSU) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Agatha Palider (KSU) def. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Therese Lagerkvist (KSU) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU), 6-0, 7-5
6. Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Ayano Tanaka (KSU), 6-4, 6-2
1. Shkundina and Holton (KSU) def. Rendon and Botha (FGCU), 8-6
2. Palider and Lagerkvist (KSU) def. Mandic and Bechtel (FGCU), 8-6
3. Apostu and Carney (KSU) def. Almeida and Evans (FGCU), 8-0