JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – Returning to Atlantic Sun conference action, the FGCU women’s tennis fell to ETSU, 7-0, on Friday afternoon in Johnson City, Tenn.
The Eagles dropped to 9-6 (4-4 A-Sun) on the spring, while ETSU improved to 9-6 (6-1 A-Sun) this season.
In the day’s doubles play, ETSU took each of the three contests to take the opening point. In the No. 1 position, the FGCU pair of freshman Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) and senior Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Texas/Tyler Junior College) fell to Paula Jaime and Karina Kedzo, 8-4.
The Buc’s success carried over to singles action, as the host took each of the six competitions. In a close three-setter in the No. 4 position, junior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) was turned away by Kedzo, 2-6, 7-5, 10-7.
FGCU returns to action when it travels to FIU for a dual meeting in Miami, Fla. on Wednesday beginning at 1 p.m. The Panthers will bring a 9-5 record into the contest with the Eagles. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Kelly Holtzhausen (ETSU) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Paula Jaime (ETSU) def. Iris Rendon (FGCU), 6-1, 7-5
3. Marine Wieliczko (ETSU) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Karina Kedzo (ETSU) def. Jen Evans (FGCU), 2-6, 7-5, 10-7
5. Andra Voinea (ETSU) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Diana Navrostska (ETSU) def. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Jaime and Kedzo (ETSU) def. Botha and Rendon (FGCU), 8-4
2. Holtzhausen and Wieliczko (ETSU) def. Bechtel and Mandic (FGCU), 8-1
3. Navrostska and Voinea (ETSU) def. Almeida and Evans (FGCU), 8-3