MIAMI, Fla. – In the final non-conference dual match of the season, the FGCU women’s tennis team fell to No. 62 FIU, 6-1, in Miami, Fla. on Wednesday afternoon. Junior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) tallied the lone score for the Eagles in the day’s singles action.
With two regular season A-Sun contests remaining, FGCU’s record drops to 9-7 (4-4 A-Sun) this spring, while FIU improved to 10-5.
In the day’s opening doubles play, the Panthers recorded the first point of the afternoon. FIU took two of the three contests and issued the Eagles the No. 3 contest via retirement.
The Panthers continued to record points through the afternoon singles play, but faced some close contests with the Eagles. In a three-set No. 2 matchup, senior Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Texas/Tyler Junior College) fell to Christine Seredni, 4-6, 6-4, 10-4. Using first-set tie-breakers, freshman Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) was turned away by Lisa Johnson, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4, in the No. 3 contest, and sophomore Bibiana Almeida (Porto, Portugal/Schiller International School) was defeated by Giulietta Boha, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1, in the No. 6 matchup.
Evans was awarded the only singles victory in the contest for Eagles, as Rita Maisak retired in the No. 4 contest.
FGCU will close out the regular season with a pair of A-Sun duals in Jacksonville, Fla. this weekend. The Blue and Green head to Jacksonville (13-4, 4-3 A-Sun) on Friday starting at 2 p.m. and follow with a Saturday contest at UNF beginning at 10 a.m. The Ospreys take an 11-3 (6-1 A-Sun) record into their Friday contest with Stetson.
Results and recaps from both competitions will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com follow each contest.
1. Brito and Spenceley (FIU) def. Rendon and Botha (FGCU), 8-3
2. Seredni and Johnson (FIU) def. Mandic and Bechtel (FGCU), 8-3
3. Almeida and Evans (FGCU) def. Maisak and Boha (FIU), retired
1. #57 Liset Brito (FIU) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU), 6-0, 6-1
2. Christine Seredni (FIU) def. Iris Rendon (FGCU), 4-6, 6-4, 10-4
3. Lisa Johnson (FIU) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU), 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
4. Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Rita Maisak (FIU), retired
5. Maria Spenceley (FIU) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Giulietta Boha (FIU) def. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU), 7-6 (7-5), 6-1