JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Returning to Atlantic Sun Conference action in Jacksonville, Fla., the FGCU women’s tennis team fell to Jacksonville, 5-2, on Friday. Freshman Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) and sophomore Bibiana Almeida (Porto, Portugal/Schiller International School) each recorded singles wins in the dual contest.
The loss dropped the Eagles’ record to 9-8 (4-5 A-Sun) while the Dolphins improved their mark to 14-4 (5-3 A-Sun).
In the afternoon doubles action, Jacksonville recorded the opening point by taking two of the three matches. Preventing the sweep of the paired competitions, Almeida and junior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) battled in the No. 3 contest to grab a 9-7 victory over Virginia Iwinski and Veronique Spence.
FGCU scored its two points in the day’s singles play with victories in the No. 4 and No. 6 positions. Botha turned away Natalie Melibeu, 6-3, 7-6, at No. 4, and Almeida continued her success from doubles play with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Spence in the No. 6 singles spot.
The Eagles will return to the courts on Saturday for the final dual contest of the 2011 spring season. UNF will play host to the Blue and Green beginning at 10 a.m. The Ospreys (11-4, 6-2 A-Sun) had their five-match winning streak snapped with a 4-3 loss to Stetson on Friday.
Results and recaps from the spring finale with UNF will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Eve Castaing/Gabriela Bartos (JU) def. Iris Rendon/Bettina Botha (FGCU), 8-6
2. Flavia Nagayama/Natalia Melibeu (JU) def. Morgan Bechtel/Gyanna Mandic (FGCU), 8-6
3. Bibiana Almeida/Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Virginia Iwinski/Veronique Spencer (JU), 9-7
1. Eve Castaing (JU) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Gabriela Bartos (JU) def. Iris Rendon (FGCU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Flavia Nagayama (JU) def. Jen Evans (FGCU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Natalia Melibeu (JU), 6-3, 7-6
5. Virginia Iwinski (JU) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU) def. Veronique Spencer (JU), 7-5, 6-4