JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – In the final match of the 2011 spring season, the FGCU women’s tennis team fell to UNF, 6-1, on Saturday in Jacksonville, Fla. Competing in her final match as an Eagle, senior Iris Rendon (San Antonio, Texas/Tyler Junior College) closed her career with a No. 1 doubles victory and followed with a victory in the No. 2 singles position.
The Eagles conclude the year with an even record of 9-9 (4-6 A-Sun), while the Ospreys improved their mark to 12-4 (7-2 A-Sun) with three matches remaining.
The match opened with doubles play, as UNF took the opening point with wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. At No. 1 doubles, Rendon paired with freshman Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) to record an 8-6 victory over the team of Aline Berkenbrock and Simona Weymar to prevent the UNF sweep of doubles play.
Rendon remained successful in the afternoon singles action, picking up a victory in the No. 2 contest. The senior turned away Danielle Day, 6-4, 7-5, in her final collegiate competition to record the Eagles lone score in the dual meeting.
In a hard-fought three-set contest, Botha came out on the wrong side of a 6-4, 2-6, 10-3 result in the No. 4 singles competition.
Although ineligible for postseason play due to NCAA reclassifying, the Blue and Green battled in the standings throughout the season. Finishing just outside of the top six tournament-eligible teams, the Eagles are well positioned for a postseason run in their first year of eligibility during the 2011-12 season. FGCU is set to return six student-athletes with significant playing experience next year.
1. Aline Berkenbrock (UNF) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Iris Rendon (FGCU) def. Danielle Day (UNF), 6-4, 7-5
3. Victoria Krook (UNF) def. Jen Evans (FGCU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Melanie Aguirre (UNF) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU), 6-4, 2-6, 10-3
5. Simona Weymar (UNF) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Melinda Doak (UNF) def. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU), 6-3, 6-3
1. Rendon and Botha (FGCU) def. Berkenbrock and Weymar (UNF), 8-6
2. Aguirre and Day (UNF) def. Mandic and Bechtel (FGCU), 8-2
3. Krook and Doak (UNF) def. Almeida and Evans (FGCU), 8-6