FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team won five of six singles matches to defeat BIG EAST foe Villanova, 6-1, on Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
FGCU improves to 3-3 (1-0 A-Sun) on the season, while Villanova drops to 0-3. The Eagles have won two-straight matches during the home stand.
“I am proud of the way we came out and played today,” said head coach Jennifer Gabou. “We are showing signs of improvement. We look forward to our spring break matches next week.”
In doubles, the Eagles won all three doubles matches to claim a 1-0 lead in the contest. The team of sophomore Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) and senior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) won against Kristin Gobberg and Allison Solberg, 8-5, at No. 2 doubles. FGCU also won at No. 1 doubles as junior Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Marina Diez (Miami, Fla./West Broward HS) took down Mikelle Mancini and Sydney West, 8-3. In the final doubles match, sophomore Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/DeKuilen HS) and freshman Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) blanked Anne Cognetti and Wesleigh Donadio, 8-0.
In singles play, Means won in straight sets against Mikelle Mancini, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 1 singles. Bechtel gave the Eagles a 3-0 lead after winning 6-0, 6-1, against Amanda Nelson, at No. 4 singles.
Evans and Botha came away with victories at No. 2 and No. 5 singles, respectively. Evans won 6-2, 6-2, over Solberg and Botha won against Pettee, 6-0, 6-1.
Diez earned her first collegiate victory after outlasting Sydney West, 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6). Diez won the third set super tiebreaker 10-6 to give FGCU its sixth point of the match.
In the final match of the day, Alexandra Harding defeated Mandic, 7-5, 6-2, at No. 6 singles.
The Green and Blue return to the court on Monday against ACC foe Boston College on Mar. 5 at 4 p.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex. Results and recaps will be available on www.FGCUathletics.com after each match this season.
FGCU 6, Villanova 1
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Mikelle Mancini (NOVA) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Allison Solberg (NOVA) 6-2, 6-2
3. Marina Diez (FGCU) def. Sydney West (NOVA) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Amanda Nelson (NOVA) 6-0, 6-1
5. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Kate Pettee (NOVA) 6-0, 6-1
6. Alexandra Harding (NOVA) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 7-5, 6-2
1. Morgan Bechtel/Marina Diez (FGCU) def. Mikelle Mancini/Sydney West (NOVA) 8-3
2. Gyanna Mandic/Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Kristin Gobberg/Allison Solberg (NOVA) 8-5
3. Sarah Means/Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Anne Cognetti/Wesleigh Donadio (NOVA) 8-0