FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team picked up a victory in singles but fell to No. 37 Boston College, 6-1, on Monday night at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
FGCU drops to 3-4 (1-0 A-Sun) on the season, while Boston College improves to 7-4.
In doubles, the Green and Blue lost all three doubles matches but dropped two close matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. At No. 1 doubles, junior Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Marina Diez (Miami, Fla./West Broward HS) fell 8-4 against Olga Khmylev and Alex Kelleher.
The team of sophomore Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/DeKuilen HS) and freshman Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) were tied 6-6 before falling 8-6 against Ina Kauppila and Katarina Gajic at No. 3 doubles. At No. 2 doubles, sophomore Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) and senior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) showed toughness battling to take a 8-7 lead in the match, before dropping a tight 9-8 (7-4) contest in a tiebreaker.
In singles play, Boston College took a 3-0 lead after wins at No. 3 and No. 2 singles. Diez lost against Kelleher, 6-1, 6-0 and Evans fell against Erina Kikuchi, 6-0, 6-1.
BC clinched the match with a victory at No. 6 singles as Kelly Berry defeated Mandic, 6-1, 6-3. Boston College pushed its lead to 6-0 after straight set wins at No. 1 and No. 5 singles. Means lost 6-3, 6-1, against Wacnik and Botha fell 7-5, 6-0 versus Gajic.
In the final match, Bechtel was able to outlast Khmylev in the third set super tiebreaker, 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 1-0 (14-12). Bechtel saved match point before winning two straight points at 12-12 to pick up her four dual match win of the season.
The Green and Blue return to the court on Wednesday against SIU-Edwardsville on Mar. 7 at 10 a.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex. Results and recaps will be available on www.FGCUathletics.com after each match this season.
Boston College 6, FGCU 1
1. Jessica Wacnik (BC) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Erina Kikuchi (BC) def. Jen Evans (FGCU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Alex Kelleher (BC) def. Marina Diez (FGCU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Olga Khmylev (BC) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 1-0 (14-12)
5. Katarina Gajic (BC) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Kelly Barry (BC) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Olga Khmylev/Alex Kelleher (BC) def. Morgan Bechtel/Marina Diez (FGCU) 8-4
2. Jessica Wacnik/Erina Kikuchi (BC) def. Gyanna Mandic/Jen Evans (FGCU) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Ina Kauppila/Katarina Gajic (BC) def. Sarah Means/Bettina Botha (FGCU) 8-6
Boston College 7-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,2,6,1,5,4)