|Women's Tennis » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
FGCU Falls in Heartbreaker to USC Upstate in A-Sun Dual, 4-3
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The FGCU women’s tennis team won the doubles point and two singles matches, but USC Upstate rallied to win 4-3 on Friday in Spartanburg, S.C. at the Upstate Tennis Complex.
With the match tied at 3-3, Isabel von Stryk clinched the victory with a tough three set win against freshman Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS), 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4. Means won the first set, 6-2, but lost in the second set tiebreaker 7-3 and the final set 6-4.
The Eagles fall to 5-7 (2-1 A-Sun) on the season and USC Upstate improves to 4-11 (1-2 A-Sun).
FGCU opened the match by sweeping the doubles point to take an early 1-0 lead against the Spartans. The team of sophomore Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/DeKuilen HS) and Means defeated Maria Tonani and Ana-Sofia Camberos, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles. Junior Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Marina Diez (Miami, Fla./West Broward HS) won at No. 1 doubles over Isabel von Stryk and Talia Rojas, 8-4.
In the final doubles match, senior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) and Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) won against Julie Bell and Hannah Al-Sakati, 8-4.
In singles, USC Upstate tied the match at 1-1 after Bell won in straight sets against Diez, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 3 singles. Rojas defeated Evans, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 singles and Bechtel took down Al-Sakati, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 4 singles to tie the match at 2-2.
Botha gave the Eagles a 3-2 advantage at winning in straight sets against Camberos, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 5 singles.
At No. 6 singles, Mandic had two match points, but fell 6-4, 1-6, 7-5, against Tonani to even the match at 3-3. The Green and Blue head to Johnson City, Tenn. to face ETSU on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
Results and recaps will be available on www.FGCUathletics.com after each match this season.
USC-Upstate 4, FGCU 3
1. Isabel von Stryk (UPST) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
2. Talia Rojas (UPST) def. Jen Evans (FGCU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Julie Bell (UPST) def. Marina Diez (FGCU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Hannah Al-Sakati (UPST) 6-4, 6-4
5. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Ana-Sofia Camberos (UPST) 7-5, 6-1
6. Maria Tonani (UPST) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
1. Morgan Bechtel/Marina Diez (FGCU) def. Isabel von Stryk/Talia Rojas (UPST) 8-4
2. Gyanna Mandic/Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Julie Bell/Hannah Al-Sakati (UPST) 8-4
3. Bettina Botha/Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Maria Tonani/Ana-Sofia Camberos (UPST) 8-0
FGCU 5-7 (2-1 A-Sun)
USC-Upstate 4-11 (1-2 A-Sun)