FORT MYERS, Fla. – The FGCU women’s tennis team fell behind early and couldn’t recover against Atlantic Sun conference leader UNF, dropping a 7-0 match on Thursday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
The Eagles fall to 5-9 (2-3 A-Sun) on the season and UNF improves to 9-4 (4-0 A-Sun).
FGCU opened the match by dropping every doubles contest to fall behind 1-0 against the Ospreys. Junior Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Marina Diez (Miami, Fla./West Broward HS) lost to Simona Weymar and Rebeca Pereira, 8-1, at No. 2 doubles. The team of sophomore Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/DeKuilen HS) and freshman Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) lost at No. 3 doubles against Danielle Day and Melanie Aguirre, 8-1.
In the final doubles match, senior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) and sophomore Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) battled but lost to No. 78 Aline Berkenbrock and Lorena Aviles, 8-5, at No. 1 doubles.
In singles, the Eagles fell behind 3-0 after Berkenbrock won against Means, 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1 singles and Day defeated Evans, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 2 singles.
UNF clinched the match as Cunningham took down Botha, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 5 singles and pushed the lead to 5-0 after Pereira won against Mandic, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 6 singles.
At No. 3 singles, Bechtel lost in straight sets against Weymar, 6-3, 6-2 and in the final match Diez lost against Aguirre, 6-0, 7-5. Diez battled in the second set before falling short of a tiebreaker, 7-5.
The Green and Blue remain home to face A-Sun rival Jacksonville on Saturday, March 31 at 10 a.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
Results and recaps will be available on www.FGCUathletics.com after each match this season.
North Florida 7, FGCU 0
1. Aline Berkenbrock (UNF) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Danielle Day (UNF) def. Jen Evans (FGCU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Simona Weymar (UNF) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Melanie Aguirre (UNF) def. Marina Diez (FGCU) 6-0, 7-5
5. Marina Cunningham (UNF) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Rebeca Pereira (UNF) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 6-3, 6-1
1. #78 Aline Berkenbrock/Lorena Aviles (UNF) def. Jen Evans/Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 8-5
2. Simona Weymar/Rebeca Pereira (UNF) def. Morgan Bechtel/Marina Diez (FGCU) 8-1
3. Danielle Day/Melanie Aguirre (UNF) def. Bettina Botha/Sarah Means (FGCU) 8-1
North Florida 9-4, 4-0 A-Sun
FGCU 5-9, 2-3
A-Sun Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,2,5,6,3,4)