NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The FGCU women’s tennis team won the doubles point and won four singles matches to clinch its first-ever Atlantic Sun tournament berth against Lipscomb, 5-2 on Friday at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
The Eagles improve to 8-10 (5-3 A-Sun) on the season and Lipscomb falls to 4-14 (1-7 A-Sun). The Eagles could finish as high as the No. 3 seed in the tournament with a victory against Belmont on Saturday.
With the Green and Blue leading 3-1, sophomore Gyanna Mandic (Oshowa, Canada/Edison Academies) clinched the match with a straight sets victory against Danielle Hansen, 6-3, 7-5, at No. 5 singles. Mandic was trailing 5-4 in the second set before winning the next three games to finish it.
FGCU opened the match by winning two of the three doubles matches to lead 1-0 against the Bison. The team of sophomore Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/DeKuilen HS) and freshman Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) won 8-5 against Alyssa Bellini and Samantha Bowman at No. 3 doubles. Senior Jen Evans (Fort Myers, Fla./Evangelical Christian HS) and Mandic clinched the point with a 8-3 win against Elizabeth Keevil and Danielle Hansen, at No. 2 doubles.
In the final doubles match, junior Morgan Bechtel (Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula Academy) and freshman Marina Diez (Miami, Fla./West Broward HS) lost 8-1 against Deahna Welcher and Jenny Borck, at No. 1 doubles.
In singles, the Bison tied the match at 1-1 when Welcher defeated Bechtel, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 2 singles. At No. 4 singles, Evans gave the Eagles a 2-1 lead after defeating Keevil, 6-4, 6-2.
Means won in straight sets against Bellini, 7-5, 6-3, at No. 1 singles to give FGCU a 3-1 advantage.
In the final match, Diez won in straight sets against Bowman, 6-1, 7-5, at No. 6 singles. Diez fell behind in the second set before rallying to tie the set at 5-5 and won the next two games to give FGCU its fifth point.
Results and recaps will be available on www.FGCUathletics.com after each match this season.
Florida Gulf Coast University 5, Lipscomb 2
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Alyssa Bellini (LIP) 7-5, 6-3
2. Deahna Welcher (LIP) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Jenny Borck (LIP) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Elizabeth Keevil (LIP) 6-4, 6-2
5. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) def. Danielle Hansen (LIP) 6-3, 7-5
6. Marina Diez (FGCU) def. Samantha Bowman (LIP) 6-1, 7-5
1. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (LIP) def. Marina Diez/Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 8-2
2. Gyanna Mandic/Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Elizabeth Keevil/Danielle Hansen (LIP) 8-3
3. Bettina Botha/Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Alyssa Bellini/Samantha Bowman (LIP) 8-5
Florida Gulf Coast University 8-10, 5-3 A-Sun
Lipscomb 4-14, 1-7 A-Sun
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,1,3,5,6)
FGCU Clinches A-Sun tournament berth