JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – The FGCU women’s tennis team began play in the Atlantic Sun Conference falling at the hands of ETSU in Friday afternoon’s dual match at the Dave Mullins Tennis Complex. The Eagles move to 6-5 (0-1 A-Sun) on the season as the Bucs improve to 5-7 (1-0 A-Sun).
“We were challenged today against ETSU,” head coach Courtney Vernon said. “We have an opportunity to grow and learn from our performance. We look forward to competing tomorrow against Upstate.”
For the first time in three matches, FGCU took an early lead winning two contests for the doubles point. Taking the No. 1 match, 8-4, from ETSU’s Lyn Yee Choo and Anna Gerbasi were Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) and Elizabeth Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS), just before Johanna Sterkel (Schwetzingen, Germany/Carl-Theodor-Schule HS) and Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) took down Jessica Brumit and Giulia Andreazza, 8-5, in two doubles.
Unfortunately for FGCU, the Bucs brought a high-intensity game into singles play as they went on to sweep all six matches. While the Eagles were unable to capture a win, two of the team’s members kept their singles matches competitive.
“We were very challenged in singles,” Vernon said. “When the matches were close ETSU did a better job of handling the pressure points.”
Facing Salma Dahbi on her home court to play No. 6 singles was Botha. In a closely-matched opening set the two went back and forth to stay on serve before Botha powered through at the end for a 7-5 win. After dropping the first, Dahbi turned her game around to take the remaining sets with scores of 6-1 and 6-2.
Exiting the courts last were Sarah Means and Choo after battling in three sets for a claim of the No. 1 match. Means pulled ahead early by winning the first set, 6-4, but Rizzolo fought back to even the match at one set a piece after taking the second 6-2. In the deciding final, Means couldn’t slow Choo down as she cruised to a win at 6-1.
The Green and Blue will continue action as they travel to Spartanburg for a dual match against USC Upstate tomorrow at 10 a.m. For complete coverage of FGCU women’s tennis follow us on Twitter at @FGCU_WTEN and visit www.FGCUAthletics.com where full recaps and results will be available at the end of each day.
1. Sarah Means/Elizabeth Means (FGCU) def. Lyn Yee Choo/Anna Gerbasi (ETSU) 8-4
2. Bettina Botha/Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) def. Jessica Brumit/Giulia Andreazza (ETSU) 8-5
3. Salma Dahbi/Sofia Espana (ETSU) vs. Candela Munoz Giron/Breana Stampfli (FGCU) unfinished
1. Lyn Yee Choo (ETSU) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Giulia Andreazza (ETSU) def. Breana Stampfli (FGCU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Anna Gerbasi (ETSU) def. Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Sofia Espana (ETSU) def. Candela Munoz Giron (FGCU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jessica Brumit (ETSU) def. Elizabeth Means (FGCU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Salma Dahbi (ETSU) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2