NASHVILLE – Ending the regular season on a high note, the FGCU women’s tennis team picked up its sixth Atlantic Sun Conference win by downing Lipscomb, 6-1, Saturday afternoon.
The Eagles improve to a program-best 13-7 (6-2 A-Sun) on the season, while the Bisons fall to 9-9 (2-4 A-Sun). The victory brings the all-time series between the teams to 7-0 in favor of FGCU.
“The girls competed well today and took care of what they needed to do,” head coach Courtney Vernon said. “We are looking forward to heading back home and turning our focus to preparing for the conference tournament.”
The Eagles victorious ways were slow to start, as the Bisons took all three doubles matches, each with scores of 8-4, for an early 1-0 advantage.
Redeeming their troubling doubles games, the Green and Blue dominated singles play, winning all six matches, five of which in straight sets.
Picking up her 16th win of the season was Candela Munoz (Alicante, Spain/Troy), finding victory in the No. 4 position. Facing Jenny Borck, Munoz took the first set 6-2, and the second a quick 6-1.
Remaining consistent in the No. 2 slot was Breana Stampfli (Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago/St. Joseph’s Convent). Making quick work of Melissa Kromer, the freshman won both sets, 6-1.
Finding victory in three singles was Johanna Sterkel (Schwetzingen, Germany/Carl-Theodor-Schule HS), as she defeated Laura Kent, 6-3, 6-2. Joining her doubles partner in the winner’s circle was Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS), downing Sierra Troxel 6-1, 6-2.
Rounding out the six wins were Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) and Elizabeth Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) playing No. 1 and No. 5, respectively. Coming out on top of a three-set battle was Sarah Means, clinching a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 victory from Dehna Welcher, while Elizabeth defeated Lorena Djuknic 6-4, 6-4.
The Green and Blue will return to the baseline for the Atlantic Sun Championship quarterfinal on Thurs. April 17 in Jacksonville. For complete coverage of FGCU women’s tennis this season follow us on Twitter at @FGCU_WTEN and visit www.FGCUAthletics.com where full recaps and results will be available.
FGCU: 6 Lipscomb: 1
1. Jenny Borck/Dehna Welcher (LU) def. Elizabeth Means/Sarah Means (FGCU) 8-4
2. Laura Kent/Melissa Kromer (LU) def. Bettina Botha/Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) 8-4
3. Lorena Djuknic/Sierra Troxel (LU) def. Gyanna Mandic/Candela Munoz (FGCU) 8-4
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Dehna Welcher (LU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
2. Breana Stampfli (FGCU) def. Melissa Kromer (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) def. Laura Kent (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Candela Munoz Giron (FGCU) def. Jenny Borck (LU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Elizabeth Means (FGCU) def. Lorena Djuknic (LU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Sierra Troxel (LU) 6-1, 6-2